Skip to main content

Year In Review

Well as 2010 ends, all I can say is I am thankful. 2010 was very hard.

1. Post 5 to 7 blog posts a week. While I didn't complete this challenge there was a good reason. In midst of getting this blog up and running I became very caught up in the numbers... visitors, views projects I was completing.. and lost sight of what Frugal Farmhouse was suppose to be about. I took time off, re-centered my head and while I may not post as much as super bloggers... I am still here.

2. $5/person/week grocery challenge- succeeded until about July. Will be going back to our skimpy grocery budget so I am sure you will here more about this again.

3. Homestead skill a month challenge- This is my favorite resolution and have carried it over to this year.
My goals were:
1. How to make butter-nope..
2. How to make hard boiled eggs-nope but will try
3. Make homemade tortillas- yes and will continue to perfect these.
4. Hm laundry soap-yes and I love it!
5. Hm pasta-yep
6. Hm taco seasoning-yep
7. Hm ranch dressing- yep
8. Learn how to can- nope
9. Hm sourdough bread- yep, and it is way to time consuming lol
10. Rag rug-nope
11. How to darn socks-nope
12. Fine tune MY recipe binder with all hm yummy goodness- This is more of an on going process, and have realized this now.

4. 2010 homemade Christmas- I did not make anything.. to be honest but only spent about 30 total.

5. Fling 2010 Things in 2010 Challenge- completed and went well over that number.

6. 2010 sewing challenge- I did complete a garbage bag full of project snuggles blankets that I donated other than that nothing was completed on this challenge. In midst of losing unemployment I sold my sewing machine to pay bills... I was given my grandma's ancient machine and am so excited to pick it up next time we are there.

7. 2010 needlearts challenge-
1. shopping bags made out of plastic bags nope..
2. dish clothes- lots and lots!
3. socks- so hard, nope.
4. hats for Warming Families-nope

8. pantry freezer challenge- did really well on this challenge. and replenished it all back haha!

9. 20 wishes challenge-

1. learn how to make quilt blocks-no..
2. make curtains for bedroom-YES!
3. get rid of half of clothes-YES!
4. keep my house clean-YES!
5. get rid of 1000 things in January YES!
6. learn how to knit-nope
7. achieve my financial goals- no
8. find a meaningful job-.... sadly.... no...
9. have a successful monetary blog- still working on this.
10. if I haven’t used stuff in storage by march get rid of it.- yes.
11. Take online courses- lost internet for a long while, so no.
12. Learn to can- nope
13. Document important recipes from grandma- still working on this.
14. Read 12 books this year- read a hand ful
15. Charity work, project snuggles, warming families- did a few things, but plan to do a lot more
16. College- started researching
17. Reduce food intake, food waste- YES!
18. Keep resolutions and challenges-sort of :D
19. Saved for later
20. Saved for later

10. Save $1000 by March 15th- luckily didn't have to complete this.


I did not complete a lot of my goals, but I learned a lot. I have set the bar even higher this year and am excited to see 2010 go.

I look forward to experiencing it all with you. I hope you had a happy and safe new year!


Comments

  1. Happy New Year Brandi! May you accomplish everything you hope to accomplish in 2011!

    *hugs*
    Debbie K

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brown Sugar Meatloaf

Really? Meatloaf? Actually this is really good! We usually have it a few times a month. Super easy too! 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup ketchup 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef {I use 1 pound} 3/4 cup milk 2 eggs {I only use 1 egg} 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 small onion, chopped 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger 3/4 cup finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs {I usually use pretzels, I never seem to buy saltines} Directions 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan. 2. Press the brown sugar in the bottom of the prepared loaf pan and spread the ketchup over the sugar. 3. In a mixing bowl, mix thoroughly all remaining ingredients and shape into a loaf. Place on top of the ketchup. 4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until juices are clear. {source} What's for Dinner tonight in your house?

One Month to love book review

This book is divided into 30 short chapters that cover all different aspects of relationships in your life. Some people are more easy to love than others, and this definitely helps with the difficulties involved in some people. Some things in this book are very predictable. Such as focusing on the person that you actually with. In the age we live in, it is often easier or more convenient to 'play' on our phones or computers, instead of paying attention to the people that matter the most.  Each chapter ends with a challenge which includes questions or things to think about and consider. While much of this book is just reiterating what we all should be doing to maintain and straighten our relationships there are some surprising ideas. One that stood out to me is the chapter entitled. ' Practicing the art of risking awkwardness'.  Included in this chapter is the idea of swallowing your pride and facing the uncomfortable stage where something has happened and usually

Framed Burlap Focal Point

Is your mom hard to buy for? Seriously, I can never decide what to get my mom. She just moved and doesn't have her new house decorated completely yet. She has been trying to find something for her dinning room wall for a few months. So my sister and I brainstormed and came up with this. Supplies 5 frames -$5 primer -$2.97 (on hand) I did use the whole can. black spray paint -$.97 (on hand) burlap -$2.47/yard (on hand) You'll need a little less than a yard, but that depends on how many letters you choose. paper -on hand x-acto knife -on hand- But, they have these right now at my Honk's dollar store. Hot glue -on hand Total $8.44 and up I forgot to take a picture of the frames before but they are the ones at Dollar Tree. 11x14.. and red. I primed (3 times) and painted them black. All with spray paint, I even used the 97 cent walmart black :) We started out by picking the word we wanted. Printed it out until we found the size and font that fit. We came up with this. Then my si